SLP Listings

Roster of Members Providing Private Speech Services

Please search by One or More of the queries. To generate entire roster, press search without any choices.


This list includes private Speech-Language Pathologists who are members of ASAPP, are registered with the Alberta College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (ACSLPA) and hold a current practice permit. Registered Speech-Language Pathologists will use the designation of R.SLP and have a unique registration number. In addition, all ASAPP members have a minimum of 3 years clinical experience.

Fee for Service Guideline

The Alberta Speech-Language Association of Private Practitioners (ASAPP) recommended hourly rate for 2014 is $130 per hour for assessment, therapy, consultation and meeting time. In addition, the Speech-Language Pathologist may also charge for report writing, treatment preparation, telephone consultations, letters and travel. As hourly rates and charges may vary, please check with the Speech-Language Pathologist before booking an appointment.

What is a Speech-Language Pathologist?

Speech-Language Pathologists are university-educated, clinically trained and registered health care professionals who work with people having problems communicating. They provide assessment, diagnosis and treatment to people of all ages, often beginning soon after birth. Speech-Language Pathologists work with people who may have trouble: learning to talk, pronouncing words, finding the right words, listening and understanding, using their voice correctly, stuttering, feeding and swallowing and reading, writing and learning. They also work with communication problems related to conditions such as hearing loss, stroke, head injuries, neurological disorders, autism and Down Syndrome.

Important Notes On Fee Coverage

Many group insurance plans cover at least a portion of the cost of private services which are usually listed under “Speech Therapy”. Insurance companies may require proof that a Speech-Language Pathologist is registered with ACSLPA. Your Speech-Language Pathologist can provide your insurance company with a copy of their current practice permit. This registration indicates that an individual has met the standards required for the clinical practice of Speech-Language Pathology in the Province of Alberta.

Currently, Alberta Health Care does NOT provide coverage for private speech-language pathology services.

In some circumstances, fees have been covered for individuals receiving assistance through government funding (e.g. Program Unit Funding – PUF, Human Resources and Child Welfare, Services to Children).

Canada Revenue Agency considers fees paid to a private Speech-Language Pathologist to be a tax-deductible medical expense.